Sunday, July 3, 2011

Little Miracles

We had a 4 year old little girl come into are clinic.  She was in respiratory distress...or so we thought.  We soon discovered though that her heart was under too much stress, it was beating much too fast.  We knew her little body could only compensate for so long.  If she wasn't brought in any sooner, she would have died.  My mind can't bear to think of all the other kids around the world that are in her same position, or those who died under the same circumstances.  Instead, I look into this baby girls eyes and pray for a miracle.  I pray for the LORD to give her strength to hang on.  I cling to this verse..."For nothing is impossible with God"-Luke 1:37
We cleared everyone out of our ER room so all of our attention could be focused on her.  She needed a medication that would slow her heart rate down...one that would have to stop her heart for a second or two.  She was lethargic and heavy in our arms, nearly unresponsive...not a good sign.  Babies should be screaming and kicking right now...I can only imagine what she was thinking as she watched all these white strangers whirl around her busily.  She was too exhausted to let out even a whimper.  We prayed.  Prayed for an IV to stick so she could get the lifesaving drug before it was too late.  Oh, we prayed.  Finally, after a few sticks we got a good line.  We held our breath as we watched the heart monitor after every dose of medication...come on.  Work.  Work.  Please God.  For nothing is impossible with God.  Let it work.  Finally after much prayer her little heart began to slow down.  Ah, relief fell over the room slowly.

Our clinic cannot hold patients overnight currently, once the Hospital of Hope is finished we can and this little girl needed to be monitored closely overnight.  So, we made plans to transfer her to a french doctors without boarders hospital just outside of Port Au Prince.  I rushed up to the guesthouse to grab some sandwiches for the ride.  I packed an extra sandwich...on accident, but also on purpose unknowingly at this point.  I rushed back down the hill to the clinic and into the ambulance.  There she was, sitting on the lap of her Daddy in the back of the ambulance.  She was better now, alert and staring at us all suspiciously.  We dug right into our sandwiches...we had worked past lunch to see her through.  Her Dad sat there, trying not to stare.  His cheekbones sunken in and his body slender.  I heard a small whisper, that extra sandwich was for him!  Apprehensive at first, then he began to eat.  He ate it all, licked every finger and ate every crumb.

Just the thought of that day brings tears to my eyes.  It was a miracle.  I praise God for moments like this.  Through this I learned about Jesus' heart.  He revealed to me His love for His children.  We are all so precious to him.  My yearning and aching for this little girls life to be spared is nothing but a speck of the love God has for you and I.  I feel blessed just to have felt that, even if it's a speck.  And if thats just a speck, wow.  His love is a miracle in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment