Wednesday, July 27, 2011

All In a Day's Work...

I'm so blessed to be working at Mission of Hope Haiti.  God is doing so much here, everywhere I turn I see God doing something new!  There is so much hope!!!  Let me just give you some examples...a typical day of work here looks like this.  This is why I am so blessed!  The intern family woke up this morning at 4:50, thanks to the boys "rooster call" and climbed on the roof to watch God paint the sunrise across the sky.  So thankful for this community, that God brought together.  During our morning meeting some orphans from the Hope Village sang worship songs in Creole...on their own, no adult leading them.  The sweetest sound, heaven will sound like that I imagine.  On my way down the hill to the clinic I see the warehouse going up, which will store food for the nutrition program that currently feeds over 50,000 people everyday!  Once at the Hope Clinic I walked into a waiting room full of people praying and praising God.  A humbling sight that never gets old!  After my morning patients, I headed down to the church for VBS.  About 300 kids were singing and dancing.  Its so awesome to see these kids having the time of their life, I'm pretty sure this is the equivalent of Disneyland to them.  They all got a good meal today, very praiseworthy!  I got a bunch of love, hugs and high fives from adorable random kids for no reason other than I'm convinced they want to actually melt my heart.  On my way out I ran into Lydia, a woman I've been friends with since the first week here.  Her baby was sick and we saw him in the clinic last Friday.  She insisted on giving me a gift, a wooden plaque that says "Hope for Haiti".  This means the world, because I know she doesn't have a lot of money.  After returning to the clinic I see that the Haitian staff have everything under control and really don't need me at all (how cool, praise God!) I headed downstairs to the 3 cords lab with my friend Jaimie.  We intended just to stop by but those ladies are just too darn precious.  3 cords is a small business here at Mission of Hope that hires amputee victims from the earthquake to make the cutest crafts, purses, and headbands to sell.  These ladies are as sweet as they come!  We spent 2 hours in there talking and learning from these amazing and strong ladies who had been through so much.  They are so hopeful and joyful.  On the way out we saw Drew, another intern, who just so happens to have a prosthetic leg himself, helping finish a prosthetic limb for an amputee patient inside the prosthetic lab.  Inside Naoki, our prosthetist from Japan was teaching and working with our two Haitian prosthetists...who will one day run the lab on their own.  Its so neat to see how the Lord has woven all of their lives and hearts together for this much needed service in Haiti.
That's just in one day!  Seeing the Hope House kids grow up with faith makes my heart so happy.  Watching them step up and lead the kids at VBS gives me the feeling of a proud Mama...I see God using them for HUGE things in Haiti.  They will help transform this Nation.  Amputees, who otherwise would have no hope to walk or work again are joyfully working, standing proud on the limb made just next door.  300 kids got fed at VBS, heard the gospel and got to just be kids.  God is transforming lives.  Hope in the big things, hope in the little things...He is using it all.  And the mosaic of all these things here is a beautiful reflection of the Character of God.  He desires to restore, love, and renew...and that is just what I saw today, all in a days work!

1 comment:

  1. LoLo...you are such my hero. Thank you for being obedient to God's call on your life ...for serving Him so faithfully this summer. Oh what a blessing I know you are to so many in Haiti. Because you have blessed my life so. I can't wait for you to be a full fledged RN...you will be used so much for the Lord's purposes and glory.
    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete