I’ve lived my life with and without God. I know both paths. I don’t know it all, but I know life in relationship with Jesus is the richest and fullest my life has ever been. Recently I've lost three young and precious friends...through their losses and living in Haiti I've really been challenged to seek the purpose of life and to examine how I'm living. If there was anyone who knew what the ultimate purpose in life is, it would be Jesus. Whether you believe in Jesus or not I think its safe to say we can all look His character and agree that He is a man who lived well. His life was marked by LOVE.
In the story told at the end of Luke Chapter 10 we're introduced to Martha and Mary. Martha is stressing about preparing supper in the kitchen...overwhelmed with details and worry. Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus. Mary gets it. She knows what life is all about. In the end nothing of this world will matter. Martha, much like me most of the time, needs to get out of the Kitchen and relax! Life really is just that simple. It all comes down to loving God and loving others. This life is so short...living for yourself is absolutely purposeless. "And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?"- Mark 8:36. No, I take that back...living for yourself is absolutely ludicrous. It truly is better to give than to receive.
Yesterday I was hanging out with the Hope House orphans and Nicole, age 17, had this to say about the world she lives in: "People just need to care about people, stop looking out for themselves and help their brothers and sisters". Jesus calls us to live as he did...a servant to others. I've lived both ways, walked both paths...and living this way just makes sense.
As my time here is coming to a close I've been thinking about what going home will be like. I am looking forward to being home, as there is no place like it. But, one thing I'm sort of dreading to hear is praise for me coming here as if it is some sort of a sacrifice. Serving here has been an absolute joy! It has been the best experience of my life...and please do not thank me. I am no better than anyone else, anything good in me is of Jesus and Jesus alone. I am an unworthy servant who has simply done my duty (Luke 17:18). Life here is so short and every breath is truly a gift. Everyday that passes we get closer to our life here ending...why do we live as if that day isn't going to really happen? I'm so excited for Heaven but until then since Jesus gave his life for our sake it is my joy to give my life for His.

Lauren,
ReplyDeleteThis blog was awesome! It truly blessed my soul! It brings me great Joy to see young people serve the Lord. Most people are age think they are too young and they will wait until they are older to get right with God. Keep doing what your doing. Serve God with your whole heart!! Christ's power is not for storing but sharing!! :)